by Josh Vahle
1 Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless his holy name!
2 Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits,
3 who forgives all your iniquity,
who heals all your diseases,
4 who redeems your life from the pit,
who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
5 who satisfies you with good
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
– Psalm 103:1-5
King David was a song writer. His lyrics for what he sang to God in this Song, #103 in his nation’s list of the top 150 songs, reveal that he saw himself as a forgetful person who needed to be told the best thing to do multiple times before he actually did it. He also was someone who talked to himself…quite frequently. 🙂 Maybe you can relate to this. I can. Maybe the great king David, the “man after God’s own heart,” was more like us than we realize. What was different?
O my soul, I command you to bless Yahweh!!!
And everything inside of me, choose to praise now His Wholly Other Set apart as Holy Above All Name!!!
Say out loud good words, O my soul, about God, the One who created you and gives you life and breath and every good thing you have because He loves you, and His Heart is good towards you, and He is FOR you!!!
And do not forget all the ways He deals with you for your good:
- He is The Judge who is acting mercifully towards all the ways you fail to obey Him, because Jesus took your place and became your sin 2,000 years ago on The Cross…Jesus is your Righteousness.
- He is The Savior who is healing all your thinking and decision-making, as you grow to trust into Jesus more every day…Jesus is your trust.
- He is The Warrior who is working constantly to rescue and free your whole life out from under the corruption and destruction of this evil world…Jesus is your David who fights your Goliaths.
- He is The King who is crowning and clothing you with His Crown and Attire, His eternal unbreakable Love and compassionate Empathy…Jesus is your clothing and armor of light.
- He is The One who is filling up to overflowing your deepest desire with delight, drinking the Living Water of Jesus….Jesus is your meat and drink.
God by His Spiritual Breath will make brand new the strength of your youth; your soul will be an eagle soaring on The Wind of Jesus.
O God help me to live by and grow to obey out of love this Song of David today by Your Holy Spirit. Amen.